“The Animal House Golf Trip…a tradition unlike any other”
The days are longer, the temperature is hotter, and that can only mean one thing…..The Golf Trip is just around the corner. This year features some familiar faces as well as some new ones. After losing Parley to a stag (he’s just on one, he didn’t die from one) and his never ending stream of golf buddies, it was a bit of a 14 man scramble to find 2 more guys to fill this to 16 and essentially not ruin the trip. Alas, Moose clutched up with the recruitment of Mark Coulter all the way from Ontario and Jamie sealed the deal by netting Byron. With the 16 golfers now set….time for the next steps.
Recapping the Golf Trip Deets:
Here it is:
|Golf Trip 2016|
|When: June 9-12|
|Where: Talking Rock Golf Resort|
|Courses: Talking Rock, Salmon Arm, Tobiano|
|Round 1 – Talking Rock||June 9 @ 230pm|
|Round 2 – Salmon Arm||June 10 @ 10am|
|Round 3 – Salmon Arm||June 10 @ 420pm|
|Round 4 – Talking Rock||June 11 @ 10am|
|Round 5 – Talking Rock||June 11 @ 430pm|
|Round 6 – Tobiano||June 12 @ 10am|
|Costs: (include taxes & carts per guy)|
+/- $714 – Don’t kill me if it’s off by a few bucks.
GETTING THERE & GETTING HOME:
First Round is at 2:30 pm, so aim to get to Talking Rock by 12:00 pm. Gives us some time for introductions, guessing birdies, and just generally getting further amped for what lies ahead. Rides are TBD/figure it out yourself.
THE GOLF TRIP:
If you haven’t already done so, checkout the remainder of this site – www.fromthewhites.com – for the history of the trip. What began as a normal golf trip has been passed onto the next generation and re-imagined to what is now known as The Animal House. Stats from the first 2 Animal House games are posted including each golfer’s scores, points, and some all time records. One day we all be dead…but the legacy of our golf scores will forever endure.
|Golf tripper since 2003, Founder and Chairman of The Animal House. All time Animal House points leader.||Kevin||5th straight golf trip and Vice Chairman of The Animal House. All time leader in Animal House match victories.|
|Moose||2nd year on the trip and holds the record for lowest round in the modern era (71).||Mark||First golf trip appearance and is flying in from Ontario to participate. Legend.|
|Aaron||First golf trip appearance, entering as the lowest handicap. Birdie machine.||Jesse||3rd appearance on the trip, broke 80 for the first time ever on the trip last year. It’s in the hall of fame section.|
|Tony F||2nd year on the trip. Also known as Tony White.||Rory||First golf trip appearance and biggest wild card of the trip. Great golf name.|
|Nathan||A regular since ’05, broke 80 for the first and only time on this trip in 2014. He did miss the ’07 trip to go to Mexico though.||Lorne||An original, original golf trip participant from the ‘90s. Golf Trip institution personified.|
|Jamie||A regular since 2006 and 5th lowest gross last year. Can he break the elusive 80 mark? Swings right, putts left? WTF||Byron||First golf trip appearance but is already the most popular guy on the trip after being the 16th and final participant. #16thman|
|5th Golf Trip appear. Former single digit handicap…can he regain the magic?||Scott||Third golf trip appearance, gunning for low gross this year.|
|Paul||A regular since 2009, holed out for the first and only eagle in Animal House history last year. Stud.||Erik||Another regular since 2009, improved by 5 points from 2014 to 2015 and looking to continue that trend.|
THE SHARKS My fav golfer of all time, Great Norman. Fucking legend. Sharks won it all in 2014.
It wouldn’t be a trip without the Tigers! Tigers won it all in 2015 with a marvelous come back.
He’s the best ever, but still hasn’t conquered the Golf Trip.
The Walruses have been last both years. Curse of the ‘tashe?
Players will be grouped into 4 tiers – A, B, C, and D based on their handicaps. Handicaps will be based on the players factor if he has one as well as a general eyeball from the group. Handicaps will be agreed upon by the group prior to selecting teams. The eye ball is key tho, this trip includes birds, scrambles and isn’t just low score wins.
In the past, teams have been picked at random while on the ferry ride. Without the benefit of a ferry ride, it has been decided that those in Tier A will captain their respective squads and draft their teams prior to the trip.
Based on feedback from the members of the trip, the Animal House Board of Directors has decided that the following will be captains and will form Tier A:
The draft will go:
- Moose – Mark C.
Each Captain will selection someone from each tier so that everyone has an A, B, C and D on their team. So, it’ll be a strategic draft. In the case of Aaron, who is new and doesn’t know everyone, his first pick will aid his him selecting the remaining teammates. Also, Mark Coulter will be placed on Moose’s team and count as Moose’s first pick.
Don’t fret if you’re picked last, it’s just for fun. And remember there’s 6 rounds with your teammates, including the Medley and the Two Man Scramble.
The next step will be to determine handicaps for everyone. A few have already trickled in but we will need everyone’s before we set the teams, particularly for the relative unknowns on the trip who don’t have a ton of history to go off of.
Once the caps are set, we will draft the teams shortly thereafter. The schedule will be created before the trip and the final details of the Animal House Golf Trip will be hammered down including which games are being played and any changes to the scoring system.
- The Golf Trip is fun and let’s make sure we keep it that way. I am the last guy to say don’t take it so seriously and don’t get upset on the course. We are all there to have fun and guys are spending good money and good time, let’s not let our bad rounds spoil the fun for an entire group.
- Further, I know the chances of all teams being tied for the lead on Sunday is slim, so if your team is out of it, just remember there are a whole bunch of guys that are still in it and we’ll need your continued energy!
- Pick your own tee box. Guys are paying good money and time and we aren’t all the same level. You play whatever tee boxes you feel comfortable with. Guys aren’t coming up there to break course records, they’re coming for fun. I don’t care what anyone says, you do what you like. Except, no ladies tees. Now you’re just being ridiculous.
- Don’t get wasted to the point of no return on Thursday night. Like clock work, guys go mental on that Thursday night and the number of times of seen guys puking during that Friday round is high. It’ll ruin the back to back Friday rounds at Salmon Arm. I sound like mom, but really, monster hangover and 36 holes don’t mesh. Drink the Coors Light boys!
- The Golf Trip schedule: Since we are picking teams well in advance, well have a set schedule. Last year we thought making up foursomes right before we teed off was a good idea…it wasn’t. Stayed tuned after we pick the teams for a detailed sked and full layout of the games.
- In making the schedule we will have an eye on who’s playing with who, friends..etc. For example Paul and Erik are both in Tier D (different teams then), we’ll make sure they face off in the Medley or Two-man Scramble. Everyone, unfortunately won’t play with everyone, but we’ll make damn sure we try our best to almost everyone.
- If you have a request on a match or whatever after we pick teams, I’d love to hear it. I am open to whatever. This is meant to be fun so if we can accommodate a certain match, game on.
We’ve learned a lot about the trip the past couple years. This year we think we have nailed it down. No tee times before 10am, big breaks between the back to back rounds, sexy drafting, great games and staying on site (Talking Rock) make it that much better.
But if you have any other thoughts or comments, we wanna hear it. Like I said, guys are shelling out some resources here, so let’s have fun. I know from the past, this is the best weekend of the year.